My Night of Scrubs

Last week J and I finished the last episode of Arrested Development Season 2. Arrested Development was pretty amusing and might get a "hiccup laugh" out of me from time to time. A "hiccup laugh" is that quick outburst of a single laugh. HA! That was one right there. That's what I usually did while watching Arrested Development. I would find moments of it funny - but J would find moments of it hysterical. I actually had to pause an episode once for her to calm down. Once she gets going it's hard for her to stop. Plus, her laughs are usually contagious. Once she starts cracking up -- I'll laugh too. However, Arrested Development never really struck my funny bone. Most shows don't have that ability. I've never really been hysterical from a comedy TV show.

Last night all of that changed. J and I hung out and started season 1 of Scrubs. Oh holy cow. How did I miss this show? From the first few minutes of the first episode I was in stitches. I could relate to one of his opening lines: "After four years of med school I was ready for my first day. And when I got there I realized...I didn't know crap." After my first day on the job I knew what that felt like all too well. The second episode focused around the main character, J.D. trying to convince a teenager smoking between two and three packs a day to give up the habit. Then J.D.'s boss tells him to give up changing people and just focus on treating them or he'll never make it as a doctor. J.D. reluctantly agrees. Then when the boss (Dr. Cox) finds out that he gave up tells J.D. "You shouldn't give up your convictions so easily or you'll never make it as a doctor." J.D. gets so pissed that he holds his breath and makes his head explode. Then Dr. Cox looks at his headless stump and says "I can't believe you just made your head explode. You look ridiculus. Without a head you'll never make it as a doctor..."

I can't even do the scene justice. I was still laughing after all the credits had rolled. This wasn't a hiccup laugh either. This was full fledged I couldn't breathe hysteria. I can't wait to see more episodes.

In other news I'll be coming home for the weekend to see the family. Watch out Gabeleo I'm invading your space! Should be a great weekend. I'll have more stories come Tuesday.

Comments

Jess said…
I can't help it; Arrested Development makes me laugh hysterically. Franklin?! How can you not absolutely adore Franklin? I couldn't help it, the crying and rolling around on the floor. Scrubs, however, is a comedic gem. I love it.

Almost as much as Arrested Development. Almost. ;o)
Memehunter said…
Scrubs is fantastic! It just keeps getting funnier too. I saw some of Arrested Development a few months ago, left me a little cold, I must say. Definitely a Scrubs man.
Anonymous said…
I find Scrubs hilarious too. The only problem I have with it is that it gets too serious and sentimental. Always has to have a big ol' fat moral message when I just want the funny stuff. Same thing with South Park, there's always some political or moral message at the end where they play soft music and someone make a heartfelt speech or perfectly reasonable argument about some issue. I don't want that. Thats why I like Aqua Teen Hunger Force. No message at all there. :-P
Jess said…
While you might mock my love of Arrested Development, you should mention that it was I who bought Scrubs. Me. Uh-huh. That's right.

It just goes to show what excellent taste I have in comedy. You should adore me. :o)

And besides, more often than not you were the one asking to watch another episode of Arrested Development. Didn't like it. Phhhbt.
Tiffany said…
Where ARE you?????

Popular Posts