Full of Surprises

A few weeks ago I cut the lawn at my house here in Rolla. For those of you that have not seen my house, I have to constantly fight off the invasion of trees growing everywhere. They grow in the hedges, the garden, even the lawn. So a few weeks ago I took a hacksaw to a couple of them getting too big. The entire episode took me an entire day to complete.

Fast forward to today. I am mowing the grass for the final time and I notice red and purple on one of the devil trees in the back yard. When I get up close, I notice that they are berries. When I look closer I notice that they are BOYSENBERRIES! The devil trees have been fruit bearing the entire time. I've lived here for five friggin years and I just now notice this? I guess I've never really been here during the summer semester to find this out. So I go around the yard checking all the other devil trees. Sure enough I have an entire boysenberry orchard in my backyard. Now I kinda feel bad for going all crazy with the hacksaw.

For those of you that have never had boysenberries, they kinda taste like a cross between blackberries and strawberries. Some old lady must have lived here in the past that loved making jams…


All hail my army of boysenberry trees!

Comments

Byagi said…
That is awesome! At least you know now and you haven't left yet. Take them all ;)
Natty said…
dude, you should make pie.
Larry said…
boysenberries make the best syrup.
Darlene said…
Yummy... I love boysenberries!
D said…
If it makes you feel better, I didn't realize that my apartment complex had a pond until after living here for a year.......and the complex is not that big either!
Katie said…
I have read three posts and you've had me laughing and jealous. Boysenberries...

Popular Posts