Procrastination

Right now I should really be writing a two page essay on my research concerning virtual reality. But because I find the virtual world of bloggers more interesting, I decided to take a break (again).

I've noticed serveral strange people at UMR, but so far no one has really wigged me out. Everyone has thier own nerdiness and quirks, and no one really fits in. It's the common trait everyone shares here. However I have finally come across one person that kinda scares me.

In one of my classes, there was a pretty large guy that decided to sleep through the first week of class. This classroom only has about 25 people sitting in it, so a person snoring and drooling on a desk is pretty visible. He does this for the entire first week in full view of the professor. The second week he takes notes, and I noticed he only had a right hand. His left hand is gone. Not kidding. Gone.

So I start thinking, "Maybe this guy is suffering from depression from his lost limb." More at ease, I ignore him and try to never stare at his missing appendage. Even though the end is totally salmon pink -- hit loss was very recent. However, the other day he sat right beside me. This alone wouldn't have been so bad except that he propped his handless stump directly in front of his face...and stared...intently...at his stump...all hour long. So what can you do about that? Do you turn to him and say something? "Are you experiencing ghost limbs and have to itch your missing pinky?"
"Um, excuse me, could you cover stumpy there?"
"Are you secretly giving me the finger?"
"Maybe if you concentrate really hard it will grow back..."
"Clap your hands if you believe in fairies..."

Meanwhile I miss a ton of notes while condemning myself to hell.

I have since started sitting behind him and to his right to help block out my view during class.

Comments

Jess said…
Oh, you are so going to H-E-double hockey sticks!

I think the clap your hands part sent me over the edge. :)
Miss Wired said…
Ooooh, you're a bad, bad boy!
[sound of whip cracking]
;)
Robert said…
I realize I'm going to hell for this post. I'll have to repent all this later.

The day I mentioned he was staring at his stump all hour, I finally freaked and stole a glance to see what he was doing. Apparently I wasn't sly enough because his head jetted around, locked onto me, and gave me the most hated stare ever. I tried to play it off like I was only looking at the clock above him. I don't think it worked. After a few minutes he finished repremanding me with his glaring eyes, and then went back to staring at his handlessness.

I usually have a high tolerance for unusual people. But this completely freaked me out. He should win an award for wigging me out for the very first time at UMR.

Popular Posts