PowerPoint is the Devil

I really hate PowerPoint. During my first training weeks at Geektopia I would estimate that we sit through nearly five hours of straight presentations. Today we hit a high point in which everyone in my training class had to split into groups of five each and do a ten minute presentation. To make the whole experience even more exhilarating every group had the same topic to present on. Doing the math, we have twelve groups presenting ten minute a piece on the same topic. This of course took three and a half hours to complete.

Everyone was so focused on making their PowerPoint presentations perfect that they forgot to be creative. It was like watching a bad rerun over and over. Damn PowerPoint! Before the days of slap-em-together presentations I’m sure people were creative. People might have done humor or enactments or audience participation or something. But with PowerPoint everyone has the pleasure of watching a Presentation made by the Borg. No creativity. Assimilation is the only option.

On the bright side of things, my PowerPoint days are over for now. During the last two weeks the system engineers were thrown together with the consultants. Not a lot of technical cool stuff for me to learn yet. This week system engineers have been split off into a classroom of their own. Our agenda includes a week of computer based training courses to teach us stuff that actually applies to our jobs. Hurray for the nerd stuff! Finally!

Comments

Larry said…
And my sister has been telling me Mike Piazza is the devil all these years.
Ren said…
My students once rebelled because all my Power Point slides were a white background with basic points on them... They were angry that they had to actually listen to my lecture and take notes really, really quick as I spoke. When I had enough of their whinning, I told them to open their textbooks... I was reading (in my head, photographic memory is a blessing in disguise) right off the text!!! College students... *sigh*
And the devil is Britney Spears. Her child will be the antichrist. Paris Hilton will be the beast everyone worships.
Robert said…
Larry: As the Nerd God in Nerdland, it really is PowerPoint that is my arch nemesis. Who is Mike Piazza?

Will: Wow what an awful class. I think I'd have killed myself.

Lab Boy: Ouch. I'm glad I didn't have you for a chemestry class. I wouldn't have made it.

T-Dawg: Wow. I have my first stalker. Sweet.

Popular Posts