My Appologies For Not Posting

I think I hear some people in Nerdland mentioning they’d like a little less geek talk. So I’ll try and take a break from that for a while. I really do apologize for not updating like I should. After my full day in Geektopia (which I can’t blog about according to my contract) I just want to watch TV and play my heroine games.

However, that’s not to exciting to blog about either….so. Ummm. I’m going to brainstorm for topics right now so I have an arsenal to choose from. Here goes.

Harry Potter
I got tagged
Movies I’d recommend
Places I’m going
People I’m going to see
Looking for a car
Grandma is in the hospital
Wanting to gain weight still
Feeling awkward in a land of sexier nerds
Childhood memories that I remembered today (vengeful)
New favorite CD’s
TV shows I am watching
Dancing with the stars – WTF?
Books I want to read
Interesting current events

Okay, so I should put a time limit on all of these. I will give my self a month to get through these. On average that is about a post every other day. If you have questions or would like to add to my list, please give me some ideas.

Finally, to get it all out of my system, a little present for all you Firefox users out there. This speed hack was sent to me by P from Geektopia. Why do I post this you ask? Just imagine me as a car mechanic and your browser as your car (a ford tempo). I’m wanting to make your old tempo into a smokin’ fast crossfire. Hey, who are you to ask questions? No strings attached. Okay, maybe you should tip the mechanic. Why do I do this? Maybe I just pity anyone who drives them accursed tempos. Okay, down to the nerdy code stuff. Here goes…

1.Type “about:config” into the address bar and hit return. Scroll down and look for the following entries:

network.http.pipelining, network.http.proxy.pipelining, network.http.pipelining.maxrequests

Normally the browser will make one request to a web page at a time. When you enable pipelining it will make several at once to increase the page loading. For those of you that don’t speak geek? Here is an upgrade to your car – I give you nitro.

2. Alter the entries as follows:

To the right of the “network.http.pipelining” double click the word false and it changes to “true”

Do the same thing to the “network.http.proxy.pipelining” to make it “true”

To the right of the “network.http.pipelining.maxrequests” is a number, most likely “4.” Double click the four and change it to 16.

3. Lastly right-click anywhere and select New-> Integer. Name it “nglayout.initialpaint.delay” and hit enter. When another box pops up, set its value to “0”. This value is the amount of time the browser waits before it acts on information it receives. In car terms, this sucker can now go zero to sixty in no time flat.

Thank you everyone for holding out on me even when I disappear! I promise there will more frequent posts unless otherwise noted.

Comments

Tiffany said…
welcome back, I missed you!
Robert said…
Thanks! Keep scrolling. I was working on three at once, so they've all been posted now. Took a while to do it that way. I'm thinking I'll stick to one at a time from now on.
Sunny said…
I can't seem to do it. Either there's some sort of geek-block set up on my computer, or I am retarded. Equal money.
Larry said…
Welcome back, R. Get to work, I need more reading material.
Ren said…
You can't blog about Geektopia? What?! I wonder if I'm allowed to blog about my job? Hmmm... Oh, yeah, I can't... Patient-provider confidentiality. :p
Robert said…
LNF: Thanks! I've missed you guys.

Sunny: Make sure you are using Firefox, and email me some screen shots of what you are doing so I can help. (collegehound1@hotmail.com)

Larry: Coming up with the next one as we speak. :)

Lab Boy: Nope, "No blogging" is written directly into my contract (all that HIPAA stuff). It even appears on my login screen for my company laptop. No dice on the Geektopia posts.

Popular Posts