Gasholes

Gashole: A person who uses unnecessarily large amounts of gasoline to move from point A to point B, typically found driving SUV's (Sport Utility Vehicles)

As defined by UrbanDictionary.com

Okay, I’d like to comment on the gas situation once again in light of recent events. I am amazed about how much people are freaking out over gas. Yeah, it sucks. Here’s the leading causes of why gas prices are on the rise:

The Hurricane destroyed a few oil refineries and gas production is behind.

The cost of an oil barrel has risen to over $71 a gallon.

Labor day weekend is in a few days and gas companies are anticipating an increased demand.

Lastly, people freak out over a few cents difference in gas and STAMPEDE to the gas station to fill up.

I may have only gotten a B in macroeconomics but the last one should really be screaming “Supply and Demand.” When everyone freaks out, they buy gas in large quantities out of fear, then the supply runs down and the gas companies have to raise prices, which causes people to freak out more. I hate catch 22’s.

If the gas is $2.75 a gallon and it raises to $3.00 a gallon how much money are you saving by buying early? (Assuming you aren’t a gashole, 14 gallons x 0.25 cent raise = $3.50. Are you really that worried over $3.50? People spend more than that on their Grande non-fat decaf mocha cappuccino lattes each morning. Sure it sucks. But there isn’t going to be a big difference in the long run. Gas prices will spike and then they will go back down – but higher than where they started. $2.40 sounded outrageous to us a month ago, but we are all willing to pay it now, aren’t we?

I read a really interesting article in an economics magazine (I wish I had wrote down the name) which stated that China and the United States are growing industries and suck down more oil than anyone. In addition, compared to other countries around the world paying upwards of $6.00 in gas, we are getting quite the discount. The magazine’s solution to the whole problem was to decrease our consumption. How do we do that? A big part is getting rid of the gasholes out on the road (so essentially keep the gas prices up until the gasholes wise up). Seriously. Three of my friends that work at Geektopia are paying $60+ to fill their tanks. If the prices keep up, they have agreed they will trade in their trucks and suburbans for fuel efficient cars. If everyone followed suit, that would mean less consumption and lower prices.

That and people should refrain from running to the pump every time they hear gas will hit $3 or $4 dollars a gallon. Because if we freak ourselves out….it will.

On a lighter note, here’s some humor I thought you might all enjoy.
































Comments

Ren said…
Hey! Hey! Don't go blaming me, missy! I didn't start the fire... It was always burning since the world's been turning.

Robert, I wholeheartedly agree with you. Panicking, in any situation, makes things worse... If you can't afford 3.50, how the heck can you afford car insurance, a car loan (maybe), registration, etc..? But that's just me.
Tiffany said…
Hey now -- that "use less gas" was SO my idea -- here -- I warned you I was going to patent it -- that'll be 10 cents please. Thanks -- I can now drive another mile! hehehehe....
Anonymous said…
Hey, you have an excellent blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a site related to your topic of gas increase price as well. It has a few gas increase price articles now. I'll be adding more soon.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Popular Posts