Random Memories

So I’m a little overdue for a new post and I’ve got thirty minutes before my lecture starts in Geektopia. Hey, they say we can’t write about the place, but they said nothing about blogging while at work…

Looking through my list a few days back I think I’m going to go for the childhood memory. I have a pretty weird personality. J can attest to this. Today in the shower I actually cracked up when no one was talking to me. Random memories just pop up with no explanation. There was nothing to trigger it. Completely random. When J asked me what was so funny I told her about the time I was dancing with my good friend M at the senior prom. We had been waiting for a swing song to come on all night, and when they finally played zoot suit riot, we were the first out on the floor. I can’t remember all the details, but some spin lead got interpreted at a dip lead, and the next thing we knew M was sitting on the floor. When I pulled her to her feet, we both noticed that one of her spaghetti straps had broken and she had to use one hand to keep her dress in place.

Now, this was likely to be one of the only swing songs that night, and we weren’t even a minute in. Dancing without the strap wouldn’t work for the obvious reasons. Thinking quickly, M ran back to our table rummaged though her purse, and was back on the floor in thirty seconds flat with a “safety-pinned” strap in place. We danced the rest of the night with the strap like that.

Like I said….random.

The vengeful childhood memory that I was talking about was from when I was four or five years old. I was at a daycare (Ms. Debbie’s) for the day, and I was playing peacefully. I remember Ms. Debbie’s daughter came up to me and tried to take the toy I was playing with. When I said no, she ran to her mom and said I had taken the toy away from HER. That earned me a timeout. Throughout the day I got two more timeouts (a little unusual even for me) by the time my mom picked me up. When my mom walked in, Ms. Debbie’s daughter ran up to her and said “Rusty got three timeouts today.” My mom gave me the “you-are-in-so-much-trouble-when-we-leave” look and Ms. Debbie’s daughter smiled smugly at me.

As I got spanked repeatedly out to the car, I swore I would get revenge.

Fast forward a bit. Ms. Debbie had just gotten back from a trip and I overhear her tell her daughter “if you’ve been a good girl while I’ve been gone, I brought you back a treat.” Remembering HER big catastrophe of the day, I ran up to Ms. Debbie and announced “Your daughter peed her pants today.” Which was true. Ms. Debbie’s daughter was being potty trained and promised not to need diapers. Her daughter gave me a wide eyed look and Ms. Debbie immediately told her daughter, “You wet your big girl pants? I only brought back treats for big girls. If you can’t use the potty like you are supposed to, you’ll just have to go without treats.” She started crying and whining and I walked off feeling much better.

That’s a lot of vengeance packed into a four year old. Totally random memory. Hope you all enjoyed.

Comments

Tiffany said…
I worry about you some times -- you know that, right? Hey -- another random memory for ya -- today, I'm wearing my favorite black dress shoes, which I bought FOREVER ago to wear to some spring-ish dance at good ol' NHS -- with YOU! yay for memories!
Ren said…
Interesting memories... Freud would have something to say about random memories in the shower, though.
Sunny said…
i thoroughly enjoyed, dude. awesome.

Popular Posts