Twenty-Five and Wigged Out By It

The amount of posts I’ve placed up here is pretty pathetic. I’ve been crazy busy in KC and haven’t had a lot of time for prose lately.

My birthday was this week. It feels weird to be 25. I used to think that 25 meant being a grown up. It meant you had kids and an 8 to 5 job day in day out until you’re 45. Now that I’m here it feels like I’m still trying to be a kid but being pushed out of the bracket. It gets harder to find single friends to hang out with (that don’t have to find a babysitter first) and if you do hang out kids are a major conversation I can’t really contribute to.

I recently went to Orlando FL and talked to my older cousin Tina, who is also single without kids and she told me that it continues to get worse as time goes on. She said that at 30 it gets real hard to be able to spontaneously go somewhere with anyone, let alone an extended vacation because no one has that ability anymore. I also got to see Aunt Bonnie and Granny while I was down there. It was really nice to catch up with everyone.

Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to see my Uncle David during my visit. A few days after I left he was in a serious motorcycle accident that nearly took off his jaw. Both the Policeman at the scene and the paramedics thought he wouldn’t even make it to the hospital. Even the surgeon that performed 11 hours of surgery on him said that he’d didn’t think Uncle David would make it. Never put it past Uncle David to prove everyone wrong. He’s finally up and moving and they have cut back on some of the drugs. I’m hoping he’ll have a near-full recovery.

Work has been busy since December with a project that I started and completed on my own. I wrote a program that audits all the user accounts we have and formats them into excel sheets and emails them to the client. The total time I’ll save every audit is roughly 20 – 30 hours of pretty mundane work. The plus side is that I’ve made it possible for the entire organization to use the program for the 170 clients we have. I’ve given the presentation to the higher up’s for approval – next week I’ll be giving the presentation to the managers assigning the work and the other engineers like me that actually do the work. I’m hoping everyone will find this as cool as I do.

I think is it way past time I updated my blog with more up-to-date info. A lot of these books and games I’m not really playing anymore. One movie I suggest everyone see is “An Inconvenient Truth.” I’ve been looking around to see if anyone has made Google Earth maps of what the world would look like in 50 years if CO2 levels keep rising at the current rate. I received an email saying that we should all stop buying gas on May 15th to teach the gas companies a lesson. Not buying gas on a particular day will not help much – but setting up a carpool with other people to work would. If everyone took 1 or 2 people on the way to work with them and began taking turns to car pool, imagine how much CO2 we could stop releasing. If you feel strongly to take action on May 15th for the environment or just to stick it to gas companies, please do so. But make sure you do something that will actually cause a change. I’ve been carpooling with 2 other people for the majority of the last 2 months. The only times I still drive myself is when I need a vehicle in the middle of the day. It’s not as hard as you might think.

Well that’s all the random thoughts I have at the moment. I’ll be on the look out for other topics soon.

Comments

Popular Posts